Friday, June 28, 2013

Summer day #36 and it just gets everywhere.

We've been going out to work in the yard in the mornings to beat the heat. Usually we've been doing about two hours a day, but I had a feeling we may not get our retaining rock wall done this summer if we didn't step it up a bit, so we did four hours yesterday and four hours today.  We're to the time consuming part of the job - sifting out gravel so we can have a good base for the big rocks.  We have plenty of rocky dirt to work with but it's just gritty, dusty, long and boring.

I have good jeans and grubby jeans.  When I go out to sift I wear the grubbiest of the grubby jeans and my grubby shirts.  They have holes and patches and are getting threadbare in spots, but I'm just not going to wear out my good jeans in the yard.  When I came in for lunch today, the kids looked at me and said, "You're really dirty!  Look at your face, it's all over you!"  Oh, I know.  I even used my husband's air compressor to blow off the surface dust before coming in the house.  I don't know if my arms are tanned or if the dirt is just ingrained in my skin.  It's definitely in my nose though.  Blech! 

For years while I was having babies I think I lived in sweatpants.  When you're sleep deprived, you don't think much about clothing as long as it's comfortable, modest, and easy to wash.  If your clothes can double as pajamas, so be it.  Now I actually care what I'm seen in to some extent.  Not enough to wear the "latest thing" but enough that I don't want to wear grubbies all day long.

I found some corn seedlings sprouting up, YAY!  Hopefully the pumpkin seeds won't be too far behind.  We grow pumpkins more for Halloween jack-o-lanterns than anything else. I've yet to plant any of those fancy pumpkin varieties that are supposed to be good for pie-making.  We've made pumpkin pies from jack-o-lantern pumpkins - the recipe loads on the sugar so I figure it's all the same right?

I'm going to put my feet up and read inside my nice air conditioned house while it's 100 degrees outside.

No comments: