Saturday, June 22, 2013

Summer day #29 and #30: Seuss, Star Wars and Star Trek in church

Hmm, I see that posting every other day is becoming a habit.

I.... don't remember a lot of what we did yesterday.  There were a couple of errands like running dinner over to one of my Cub Scouts - his mom had a new baby last week - and something else but...
Nope. Nothing exciting.

Today - weekend chores and errands again.  I have to prepare a Relief Society lesson for tomorrow.  Relief Society is the ladies' auxiliary in our church.  I teach them on the fourth Sunday of the month.  This week I'll be talking about how God is there for us even when we feel we are alone in this world in our struggles.  I have no inspirational quotes or anything yet.  I don't want to drag out the old "Footprints in the Sand" thing but I may quote from Dr. Seuss's, Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are?  It kind of amounts to a similar thing.
 Sort of.
Maybe not really.
Okay, never mind that's not going to work.

Yeah so you can tell I haven't really dug into yet and I have less than 24 hours.  That's kind of me though.  I've tried to prepare weeks in advance, but more often than not, I end up changing a bunch of stuff at the last minute anyway.  I don't know if it's the Spirit doing that because I was way off base to start with, or if it's just me changing my mind.  Who knows?  I know I get nervous watching the class members looking to see who is dozing off.  I'm always trying to think of something to catch their attention in a way that 1) isn't offensive, 2) remains doctrinally correct, and 3) gets them laughing.  Mostly I just manage one of the three.

A long time ago, my mother had to give a Relief Society lesson.  She is a believer in finding truth in many different places, including, but not limited to Star Wars.  One Sunday, I got to play hooky from Primary because she made me the guest speaker - dressed up as Yoda - which involved a heavy latex mask, a burlap robe and rubber gorilla hands because we couldn't find Yoda hands.  I did my best Yoda impersonation and recited the lessons Yoda gave to Luke on Dagobah about how easy it was to turn to the dark side.  I'm not sure the ladies heard me very well through the mask but I got a lot of giggles.  That was enough for me.

I don't think I could pull that off today - getting one of my kids in a costume for a Relief Society lesson.  Still do a decent Yoda impression, I can.

Now, gospel analogies couched in Star Trek metaphors...okay, maybe I can't get away with those either, but my mom gave me a few of those too.  Don't ask.  I don't think the new reboot of Star Trek would lend itself to Christian bible story adaptations.

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Pam said...

HEY WHY NOT! Tell them what I did and give them an impression! That ought to bring laughter BEFORE you start the lesson!