Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Summer Day #26 and a Say What?

It was windy this morning.  I knew that sifting dirt in wind would be murder on my contacts so we didn't do that today.  We pulled weeds instead and I still had dirt in my eyes that required a dash to the house, a quick handwashing, then contact lens removal and cleaning and then reinsertion.  Not fun.  I spent the rest of the time outside with safety goggles on - the kind with the rubber band that goes around your head and makes you sweat.

Today we did a trip to the library.  The younger kids are signed up with the library's summer reading program.  My younger daughter had enough minutes recorded that she could pick 7 prizes.  The library volunteer then gave my daughter two or three slips to record more minutes on.  The librarian, who knows how voracious a reader she is, said, "no, give her a bunch" and she fished out another ten or twelve slips.  I had to chuckle to myself.

My younger son normally likes to be read to rather than to read himself but he has even forgotten about that this summer as he's been playing with kids on the street.  Several kids have moved to our street in the last year and he has more kids to play with now than he ever has.  I'm good with that.  He's outside a lot more, he's socializing, I think it's just as healthy as reading.

Speaking of my younger son, he overheard a snippet of conversation I was having with my husband. I was talking to him about my mom for a minute, and my son said, "Which mom? You or your mom?"

I said, "My mom."

He said, "Oh, I thought you were talking about my other mom."

I said, "Your other mom?"

He said, "Yeah, you're not my real mom. I'm just staying here until I get back on my feet."

This kid is 7 years old.  I have NO idea where he got that from.

My son then backtracked - "Just kidding. You are my mom."

To which my husband replied, "Oh good, I was about to kick you out of the house there for a second.  But then I'd hate to do that to you when you're down."

My boys are such comedians.

1 comment:

Pam said...

OH MY GOSH! I'm actually sitting here GIGGLING! WHAT'S UP WITH THAT?