Monday, June 10, 2013

Summer day #17 and #18

The heat has definitely turned up - it actually feels how June usually feels here; hot and dry.

Yesterday being Sunday, we did the church thing.  I really wish I could stay awake more in Sunday School. 

I was begged by the assistant choir director to join in the practice after church because they are singing next week.  I didn't really want to, but it's hard when someone asks you personally.  My youngest son joined me in the choir seats for a minute or two asking if he could stay with me. I said he could if he wanted to sing with us.  He asked if it would be boring. I told him it would be like singing with the other kids in Primary.  He told me he wanted me to spend more time with him at home.  I told him I wanted to as well, but someone had asked me to sing.  He resigned himself to sitting with me, but then my husband found him and gave him the stern look with the "come here" finger wag.  My son pouted but followed my husband home.  Thankfully the music was real sheet music instead of just a new set of lyrics to a song in the hymn book.  The choir director has a book that rearranges the hymns but the singers don't get to see the actual notes to the rearrangement.  When a key change happens, it kind of throws me for a loop.  I do much better with sheet music so I can kind of see where the notes are going.  Anyway, that's why I haven't been going to choir much lately.  That and I'm so sick of hanging around the church after the usual three hour block.

Today is hot but also windy - somewhere in the 25 to 30 miles per hour range.  That kind of wind and the dust of our yard makes for stinging contact lenses.  I just can't do it.  It was blowing hard around 6 am when my eyes peeped open. I heard the internet antenna cord banging against the electric meter outside and I knew it was going to be a bad day for outside work so I went back to sleep for a while. 

After the normal inside chores, I sent the boys around the house wiping walls down.  Smudges, dings, and BOOGERS!  I hate that.  It's not like there aren't tissues, toilet paper, paper towels and such available.  The girls went downstairs for bug patrol - using masking tape to pick up the miniscule bugs that have started coming in through the windows, even though they are shut all the time.  I have re-insulated around the window frames, spread bug poison outside the foundation - I don't know what they are.  It's like they are gnats, but they crawl on the ground instead of flying around like they do outside.  Our town is famous for the spring gnats.  I don't really want to resort to spraying pesticide inside the house.  I've laid out glue traps, and those have caught quite a few bugs as well as a couple of spiders, but we seem to get more with the kids just "taping" them up and throwing the tape away.  There has to be an end to them eventually right?

On the list for today:  take my youngest son's glasses to the eye doctor to get new nose pads put on, invite a boy in the neighborhood to join our Cub Scout den, try to track down a canning recipe for radish relish, and who knows what else.

Hope your summer weather is a little more accomodating than ours.

No comments: