Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Say What: 7 year olds and English Grammar

I was cooking bacon on the stove and the smoke was accumulating. Our smoke detector is sensitive and LOUD.  I opened the windows to try to clear the air before the smoke built up too much.  My seven year old son, doing his best to avoid his spelling homework at the kitchen table, asked why I opened the windows.

"There's some smoke in here from the bacon. I don't want the smoke detector to go off." I explained.

"Go off?"

"Rignt. It's really loud."

"You mean 'go on'.  When it's 'off', it's quiet."

I didn't even try to give him my "remember that English is a complicated language" excuse.

Then he added. "Gee Mom, you're messed up in the head."

Yup.

1 comment:

Lourie said...

I get really nit picky now with grammar. My kids will hate me now more than ever, but what is the correct way to say it? Haha. "I don't want the smoke alarm to turn on!" I am messed up in the head too. You are in good company. :)

I am posting tomorrow and I have tagged you. I know. Humor me. :)