Monday, February 4, 2013

Monday Musings: Job Shadow or Thoughtcrime Police

Our local middle school encourages it's students to job shadow one of their parents for a day to help them think about possible careers.  If they can't go with a parent, they can go with a family friend.  My son asked his dad, but kids aren't allowed at my husband's facility.  My son asked one of his scout leaders; again no kids allowed.  Those students who couldn't find a person to job shadow would be expected to come to school but they wouldn't be doing regular classes. They would would writing essay, after essay, after essay.

There was only one option left: Job shadow the stay at home mom.

???

I mean yes, the stay at home parent is important.  Unfortunately, I had nothing bigger on my to-do list that day than....do laundry.  Of course I made him spend extra time to clean his room, had him start his own laundry and such, but..... he certainly didn't see all of my usual day.  Some things I just don't do when the kids are home.

My son completed his "job shadow" last week and he says I have to fill out a questionnaire.  I'm not sure I want to.  It really isn't anybody else's business how I run my house.

I imagine I'll have to come up with some creative answers.

Surf the internet = "research more efficient methods of cleaning soap scum with vinegar".

Run errands = "seek out new worlds and new civilizations".

Tidy up after thoughtless kids who leave out the worst pots and pans from the night before for me to scrub in the morning = "collect bacteria samples for further study/eradication".

Try to exercise without looking like a bouncing water balloon filled with gelatin = "research ways to warm a domicile without increasing one's carbon footprint".

Pay bills = "go over accounts payable".

Chat with the neighbor lady across the street = "improve community outreach"

Go from room to room looking for the lost right handed gloves to go with abandoned left handed gloves = "investigative research".

Clean the toilet = "sanitation maintenance".

Mend clothes = "uniform inspection".

Cook dinner = "catering".

I don't know, what do you think, too much?

3 comments:

Amy said...

I love it! I'd like to borrow some of these to put on my next resume :) And I think having your son shadow his stay-at-home mom is a great idea.

Pam said...

I just HOPE you wrote all of this to the teacher!!!! DID YOU! Then they would KNOW how creative their mom is!

Heather said...

Found your blog, love it and love the idea of job shadowing the home facilitating engineer, lol!