Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Where have I been? I'll show you.

If it seems like my blog here has been on auto pilot, it has. Among end of the year school musicals, concerts, field days, and other stuff, my as yet unlandscaped yard has occupied my time as well.

We have clay dirt mixed with copious rocks ranging from gravel to 75 pound backbusters. My kids expressed interest in doing a garden, so that meant digging up rocks. Spring break was spent doing a lot of that (I'm so mean. No trips or vacations. Just busting rock.).

Not having a lot of funds to buy topsoil, we ended up buying some bark dust to amend the clay with - I figured anything I put in the clay/cement would improve it.

As always I look on gardening as experimental. I'm not expecting much and if anything actually grows then I'm happy.

So here is the spot we dug up rocks and then dug in bark dust. This was a little over a week ago.

I was able to stretch out my 50 foot soaker hoses all the way out.

It's very hard to see, but the little speck of green in the middle there, that is a sunflower sprout popping up. I was happy to see that this morning! Of course, it's just my luck, the weather is predicting a possible hard frost tonight, so these babies may not survive. Hopefully the rest of the seeds we planted will stay under one more day or two before coming up.

I let my kids choose what to plant and we just planted seeds because I don't want to bother with covering up plant starts to protect them from frost. I'm lazy that way. The kids chose two kinds of corn, two kinds of watermelon (I don't have much hope for those), pumpkin, tomatoes, potatoes, thyme, sunflowers, and peas. I scattered some nasturtium and marigold seeds here and there in between everything. After last years zucchini tsunami, the kids were insistent that we were NOT going to plant zucchini this year.

Now I have to get rid of some weeds. Hope the rest of you are having fun!

1 comment:

Lourie said...

Oh my goodness, I hear you on the concerts, shows and so on! It's been crazy. Hopefully summer means we can catch up on blogging. *snort*