Monday, September 12, 2011

What do I do with this stuff? Three!


Did you like the brownies? How about another zucchini dessert?

This recipe is by Kathy Wangeman (Hey Kathy! Long Time No See!) that is in Our Favorite Recipes: Dawson Creek Relief Society 2004 book, Page 96. (There, I've given credit where it is due.)

This recipe has a frosting section, but we like the cake by itself. Okay, I'll be honest. I just never have the ingredients for the frosting when I make the cake so I do without. Someday I may remember to put the cream cheese on the shopping list.

Anyway, here you go.

Zucchini Cake

Cake

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
2 cups shredded zucchini
1/2 cups chopped walnuts (optional)

In mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Combine oil and eggs. Add to dry ingredients and mix well. Add zucchini. Sitr until thoroughly combined. Fold in walnuts if desired. Pour into a greased 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool.

Frosting

1 (3 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 Cup butter or margarine, softened
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups confectioners sugar
additional chopped walnurs (optional)

In a small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, butter, milk and vanilla until smooth. Add confectioners sugar and mix well. Frost cake. Sprinkle with nuts if desired. Store in the refridgerator. Yield: 20 - 24 servings.

I know 20 -24 servings means very small servings. When I last made this cake we managed 18 servings and even then I thought one piece was appropriate for something you'd see at an English tea. But the great thing about cake is, you can slice it any way you want to.

Anybody have any zucchini favorites? I still have six huge zucchini on my counter.

1 comment:

Elaine said...

yum, love zuchinni! you should slice it and batter it up in egg and flour and fry it!