Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day: Whom do you remember?

For those of you who have ever lost a loved one in a battle to defend our country, I am grateful for the freedoms I enjoy; I can't ever understand your loss completely, I can only try to be the best citizen I can and respect your sacrifice, and I hope you find comfort, healing, and inspiration to move forward. I was one of the lucky ones. My dad served in Vietnam, as did two of his brothers in different areas, and they all came back.

No matter your politics, no matter how you may feel about how or why or where our country's leaders have sent our armed forces in the last few decades, I hope you will join me in thanking God for such brave souls who give their all to their country, and in thanking those brave souls who have not had to make that last great sacrifice...yet.

I hope you will also join me in praying for the day to quickly come when "swords shall be beat into plowshares", and no one will "learn war anymore."

2 comments:

Pam said...

AMEN to that!!!

Lourie said...

My aunt's first love served in Vietnam and his bunker was ambushed. I never met him but I have seen his name on the Vietnam Wall. Great post.