Sunday, April 24, 2011

New life or sugar crash?


We're home after spending over a week with extended family. And except for two minutes to look at Facebook, no really, TWO minutes, and not even to make a comment, I didn't get on the Internet that entire time. The only 20 minutes I was on a computer was to copy pictures from my digital camera to my mother's or mother-in-law's computers. So in a sense, my whole spring break has been something of a technology fast. (No, I don't have one of those fancy phones either. That's just for the occasional phone call. And a rare text message.)

So what did I do for spring break/Easter weekend? Well. It seemed to turn, unexpectedly, into an arts and crafts week. For the kids. They saw stick and yarn assemblies that are commonly called "God's Eyes" on their grandmother's wall, created by their aunts and uncles, most of whom had the same 5th grade teacher long ago. So they just had to have their Grandma teach them to make one. I got roped in of course. I did one for the first time for my youngest, who wanted one too, but didn't feel coordinated enough to try himself.

At a cousin's birthday gathering, on the other side of the family, the kids painted little plaster figurines. Then their aunt foisted, ahem, generously gave me some ceramic penny banks, which they later painted.

I managed to finish my youngest child's quilt that I started almost five years ago. I think that's the longest I've ever stretched a sewing project though I hear that isn't even a drop in the bucket compared to one of my aunt's back burner quilts.

Then my two girls assisted their grandma in making Easter dresses. They aren't finished yet.

Between the painting and the God's Eyes, and the arts festival, there just wasn't enough time.

Oh yeah, the arts festival. That will have to wait for another post, and we saw some incredible stuff, but boy! It was an "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" kind of affair.

Yes, we decorated Easter eggs and had Easter egg hunts with both sets of grandparents.


By Saturday afternoon, I was done. We hit the road. I think I rested more today than I did on "vacation".

I did have quite a bit of time to think on the way home. Do I fall back into my normal "routine"? Do I try something different, if not new, just to shake things up in my hermitage? Do I go crazy with "same old, same old" or do I go crazy trying to do more than I'm used to? And do I have the energy to do either?

What say you? Is this season a new birth of life for you or are you looking at six more weeks of winter?

3 comments:

Lourie said...

I think I need toothpicks to hold my eyes open. Either that, or I should simply paint eyeballs on my eyelids.

Cheeseboy said...

I do believe that you may have gone to the same Spring Break location as we did and the rest of Utah, it seemed.

Pam said...

It snowed again today, I think I"ll go back to sleep.