Friday, March 4, 2011

Friday Movie Night: We are all brothers and sisters

For members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, aka "Mormons", attending one of our temples expresses the ultimate commitment to God, and it affords us the greatest blessings God can give us.

We don't like the idea of "till death do us part". Nuh uh. We want to be with our loved ones forever. We want our ancestors, who may not have had the chance to hear the Gospel of Jesus Christ in its fullness, to join us in the eternities. Hence, our fervor in building these edifices is in fact the drive to forge the familial bonds of unity through generations.

Growing up during the Cold War, my family and I would discuss "the Iron Curtain" and lament the fact that the people of Communist Russia could not choose to believe in God without dire consequences. I honestly never thought that the U.S.S.R. would ever allow religion to be practiced in my lifetime.

Then the Berlin Wall fell. Not by military action by any government, but by ordinary people who had had enough. That toppled piece of concrete was the beginning of the end. Within a few years, a couple in my folks' ward were sent on a mission to Russia. My jaw dropped. Truly a miracle; the Spirit of God was moving through the same lands that we had been so antagonistic against for so long.

Now Ukraine has a temple. Unbelievable. Look at the faces of these young people; the hope that shines in their eyes truly inspires the best in us.

4 comments:

Patty Ann said...

We love going to the temple. It is even more amazing now that some of my children go. Thanks for the reminder today. We have so much to be thankful for.

Lourie said...

I think some of us *me* take our freedoms for granted and also take for granted how close Temples are for some of us. That was beautiful. Simply beautiful.

Ruth Ann said...

This video was just WONDERFUL!! Thank you SO much for posting it just so I could see it. The power of the Holy Ghost is right there in all those faces. I could even recognize some words, and I've only studied french.

Pam said...

I LOVE Spiritual movie clips like this. I remember Tina saying to the primary when she was little that she hoped that Russia would someday open up and it did. And then we got our FIRST Russian in the ward. I was in disbelief that I was actually meeting and talking with a Russian. I didn't think I would ever meet one. He's now been in the ward for 15 years.