Monday, December 13, 2010

Say What: Expand your vocabulary

I'm taking a housework break - ease up now, Martha Stewart, I've been awake since 4 a.m., not by choice.

My kids bring so much paper home...I should have a paper recycling box next to the front door. Most of the stuff is your standard photocopy worksheets, but sometimes it's the handwritten stuff. I found one of my third grader's vocab sheets.

Remember vocabulary? It was basically your spelling list, only you had to copy the definitions out of the dictionary and then use each word in a sentence. I don't see the definitions anywhere, (maybe with cut and paste there is no longer any point to that assignment) but here are some sentences I thought you might enjoy. Apparently my daughter's teacher did...she wrote "Awesome!" in purple pen on the paper.
(I had to BOLD the vocab words my daughter actually UNDERLINED because apparently I can't seem to be able to UNDERLINE just a word.)

We need to go to the store.

"Do I have to do it again." (I don't why she put this in quotes. Maybe because she heard somebody say it?)

"Don't you look at me like that." (Again in quotes. I really don't say this at home. Honestly, I don't know where she's getting it!)

"What year is it?" (Oh dear. Who does she know that has amnesia?)

Enough is never enough. (So much for trying to teach her moderation.)

I thought so. (Well, I guess it's better than "I told you so".)

Let's go to school. (Phew. A perfectly boring textbook phrase. I was getting worried there for a minute.)

3 comments:

Lourie said...

BHAHAHA! I love each and every one of those. Here's another for don't...
"Don't make me come up there!" :D

Michelle said...

I love it! Spelling and vocab were my favorites-hope my kids love them too.

T&JCrawford said...

Cute!