Tuesday, November 2, 2010

A public service announcement

Did you vote?

No really?

I know the feeling. You don't know who to vote for. All you know is what they are shouting at you on t.v., radio, the internet. You don't really know what they are like personally. Their family photos are soooo perfect. Do they have integrity? Do they make deals without public input/disclosure? Do they know when to compromise and when to stick to moral principles? Are they fair? Will they listen?

It's a little easier to vote for/against an incumbent if you took the time to look at his/her voting record and you agree/disagree with what he/she did, but if both candidates are unknown? How do you choose?

So how do you pin it down? The classic eight ball? Flip a coin? Vote for anybody who hasn't been in office before? Vote straight ticket? Vote for the guy that has the same name as your second cousin but isn't your cousin?

I voted on an "early day" (nice!). I voted for independents this year because it's getting to the point that the only difference I can see between the two major parties is how they spend tax money. Will they win? Maybe not. But at least I'll have cast my vote, and thus, have a right to complain when the people I didn't vote for continue to do "business as usual".

How do you see voting? A nuisance? A civic duty? A protest? Feel free to leave a comment, but for heaven's sake let's leave names out of it, they don't deserve any free press here. :)

2 comments:

Lourie said...

I have not voted....yet. I still can. They are all just talking heads who tell us what they think we want to hear. Not to mention all the measures and propositions. The sample ballot for CA is 5 and a half pages long. I think I will vote for "none of the above."

Andy said...

I love voting early. When I was pushed out of being able to vote during the primary election in 2008, I swore never to wait in line again. There are no lines in the early voting polling places.

I vote more to have a say rather than along party lines or to win. I looked up the candidates' websites and chose those that matched my ideas. The candidates I didn't consider were the ones that had almost no information on the Internet or just gave a history lesson.

Utah is fairly consistent in its platforms, even across party lines. I wonder how I will vote when I move out of state.