Monday, October 18, 2010

Sometimes I just don't know what comes over me.

I'm not a poet. I'm not a lyricist. My grammar is correct, mostly. I do my best to be polite and not make waves, mostly.

So I don't know what possessed me one Sunday, as our Sunday School class was turning to Isaiah in the Old Testament, and the teacher was acknowledging a common perception that understanding the words of Isaiah was difficult and put out the question to the class, "What are your feelings on Isaiah?"

I replied, in volume somewhat more intense than is normally used in Sunday School, "Isaiah ROCKS!"

The teacher lost his wind for a moment as a burst of laughter broke what reverence we had going for us. Most of the class members are older than I am. Their youngest children have children. I didn't look at my classmates, rude to stare after all, but I could imagine them shaking their heads with a "there she goes again" look on their faces.

If nothing else, I'm good for comic relief.

Seriously though folks, I don't mean to make it sound as if I found Isaiah's writings easy to comprehend. I don't really. There are a few passages I do understand, and those are particularly about the Savior's earthly mission, His sacrifice, His Atonement. I find the language in the King James' version in those verses exquisite, and it's just a translation. I sometimes wish that I knew Hebrew so I could read Isaiah in his own language because I've been told that his writings are considered great poetry.

For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.

He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.

But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

Isaiah 53:2-5


I may not understand all that Isaiah wrote, but when I do...wow.

2 comments:

Lourie said...

First I will say, you can come to my ward any time. You will fit right in. We are irreverent a lot. Second, I love the language of the scriptures particularly Isaiah and 2 Nephi. They are beautifully written. And being a fan of Shakespeare since I was 14, well... I don't always understand...but when I do....

notmolly said...

You'd be welcome to sit by me. I think Isaiah rocks, too.

I get really... frustrated at the otherwise quite intelligent people who tend to be in our Sunday School, who see the name Isaiah, and just freak out: "Isaiah's just incomprehensible! It's so HARD!"

Um... not really. He's got about four "speaking" modes, and he uses some really good parables to couch future events in past politics, but his symbols are really nice, and he was *trying* to be understandable. I just want to shake the spiritually lazy and say, "REALLY? You don't know what he's talking about with the "dregs of the cup of fury?" Really? You won't even try??"

This, of course, doesn't apply to my fellow hermits, or anyone who actually gives enough of a rip to actually... TRY. :)