Sunday, September 19, 2010

A moment to breathe, to rise

Kids tucked in. Check.

Hubby off to bed. Check.

Me in bed. Still working on that.

I'm baking bread. I thought we were totally out. I didn't notice the last loaf in the freezer until I'd started this batch. Oh well, I'm going to be busy tomorrow anyway.

It was too late to run to the store, not that I would have on a Sunday. I try not to let my "ox get in the mire", but sometimes it happens. So I choose to bake rather then buy.

I bake a lot anyway. Yeah, the store bread is soft and sliced evenly and quick. But I like to think I'm saving a little money on the grocery bill, that the fresh stuff is better for the kiddos, that I'm keeping an old skill alive every two to three days.

I don't have fresh cookies for the kids after school. I don't grow my own herbs. I don't sew my own clothes. I wouldn't know how to home-can food if my life depended on it (and I'm scared to think that someday it might!) and I don't think I'll ever volunteer for the PTA.

I can do this one thing, and I'm happy to do it.

What one thing do you do, "the hard way"?

5 comments:

The Mom said...

I gave birth to all 4 of my children without drugs or epidurals. My labor went faster. My sister doesn't agree with my choice, though. She says, "If you went to the dentist to get a cavity filled, would you tell him you didn't want to get numbed because you want to go natural?" LOL

Momof5 said...

I have a sourdough starter growing in my fridge! I just baked my first loaves last week. I do need some bread pointers though. I cook a mean homemade green chile chicken noodle soup, with homemade noodles and stock. It's pretty yummy!

Lourie said...

I think I do everything hard. Hahaha. But I do not sew. I try, but it isn't pretty. Canning? What is that? Grind my own what? I am such a spoiled girl. A pioneer I am not.

Lesa @ music notes said...

My daughter and I made apricot jam last week. It was a lot of work!

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Pam said...

Of course I tell the dentist NOT to numb me up. I want to go home with feeling!