Tuesday, July 20, 2010

One man's grafitti...

Some friends took us up into the hills last night to see some petroglyphs. It was a stiff hike, let me tell you! We didn't take our injured daughter and we should have left the four year old with her too. As it was there was a whole lot of "Daddy! I can't go down there!" and so on and so forth.

There were actually three caves we could have explored, but we only got to two of them. The first one, our friend told us, was probably used as a shelter for Native Americans while hunting.

The second one had this awesome figure in it. I have no clue what/who it is, but I like it!

The sloping layers were pretty cool, a la Fortress of Solitude, only in the desert.

Here's a shot of the view from the mouth of the second cave. That mountain to the right is called Stansbury Island.

If the water level of the Great Salt Lake was higher, it would be an island, but right now it's more of a peninsula with a road going out to base of it. There's a trail out there we've yet to try. It's going to be a while though. The hike from where we parked to the caves is probably, technically, about a mile, but BOY! That was more of a stairmaster mile. I was a sweaty mess by the end of it.

What can I say? I have a thing for caves.

2 comments:

Lourie said...

That is sooo cool! Not too sure how I would handle the hike, but the caves are awesome.

Pam said...

Don't do any spelunking! OK?