Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Not loving Valentines

When I was a kid, Valentine's Day meant taking little cards to school with those nasty, tooth-breaking heart candy with the little words on them, and then counting up how many you got. Someone always managed to get a TON of valentines. If everyone brought the same number (one for every student, and one for the teacher), then how did that happen? If someone's mom was into the holiday, there was a cupcake for each kid. HOMEMADE cupcakes, or sugar cookies, washed down with milk. I liked that part.

These days, if moms or dads want to bring a treat to their kids' classes, it has to be STORE BOUGHT, INDIVIDUALLY WRAPPED, for "health concerns". Are you kidding me? I don't remember ANYONE getting so much as food poisoning from a homemade cupcake. If a kid's mom worked during the day, a store bought treat was acceptable. Nowadays I know more families are two income households (if they are lucky in this economy) so store bought makes sense in that context. But what if on the off chance I channel Betty Crocker...I can't whip up some cupcakes? I know I don't usually do that, but I would like the FREEDOM OF CHOICE whether or not to do so.

Oh, and when I was a kid, you never heard of anyone having a nut allergy. And I've heard from more than one teacher, "we have a student with peanut allergies", so no chocolate. Huh? How did this happen? I remember the pediatrician telling me not to introduce peanut butter to my firstborn until after age 1 or 2. I don't think my mother got that instruction when she had me. So, are kids having more allergies because moms are too scared to give their babies peanut butter? I know, my logic is flawed, but it just seems too weird to me.

My preschooler just came home with a small haul of sweets of every size and shape. It's a mini-Halloween. At least with those nasty hearts, you didn't want to eat too many all at once; just when your sugar craving was sooooo bad that you couldn't stand it anymore. I know my four year old is not going to want his proper lunch today, dang it. Sigh.

Why the sour grapes you ask? Try eating healthy with all the candy around. How are we SAHMs supposed to lose the baby weight if every other holiday involves treats?!

Pass the chocolate.

9 comments:

Momof5 said...

Amen! It's depressing thinking about losing weight as a sahm. Depression sparks my need for chocolate.....Thanks! Great post and so true. I don't understand the whole concept. We homeschool, so we would so like you to channel BC on over this way!

Pam said...

Since I went to school there has been so much MORE, "YOU CAN"T DO THIS, THE KIDS WILL DIE" than I can believe. The only things our teachers wanted us to do was quit chewing gum in class! We've REALLY gone overboard in many things now because of INSURANCE scares. Let's get rid of the insurance Agencies instead! We'd go back to having a lot more fun.

Lourie said...

I wish I knew the answer. It's not fair. :( As for the food in classrooms...yeah that has gotten way out of control. I am thinking there is a greater risk with store bought foods than there is with the homemade variety. Just sayin.

Elaine said...

What??? No more homemade?? That's ridiculous. Homemade always tastes better than store bought.. LAME.

clothedmuch.blogspot.com

The Mom said...

I am trying to lose weight too, and all the candy drives me nuts. I am refusing to do any candy this year for Easter. They just don't need it. Bubbles and sidewalk chalk and jumpropes are much easier on my hips!

Sarah Bishop Jackson said...

All it takes is one or two people to sue and then we have laws and rules and more laws and more rules.

I am glad that I am no longer doing license daycare and I just watch 4 children. The rules and laws were getting so ridiculous that I finally threw in the towel. Since it was my home I could make things but the mothers had to bring in store bought cupcakes to celebrate their child's birthday. Plus I had to have a food handler's permit to serve food IN MY OWN HOME.

Don't get me started on the other stupid (yes,stupid) rules that was enforced.

Hang in there, I am right with ya...maybe we need to do it together.

imbeingheldhostage said...

I am SO with you! I'm gutted that we can't take baked goods in anymore-- that was my way of "shining" since the rest of my job description is pretty dull (clean poo, wipe snot, do loads and loads of laundry), and I have played with the same theory about the nut allergies...

Mom said...

Sorry, I'm bringing treats. Now you've been warned you can stock up on celery and carrots. Good luck!

Ginny said...

I just finished putting together the valentines for AJ and Noah's day care buddies and my big stink was why don't valentines come with envelopes anymore. I seriously had to tape the treats to the cards. I thought it was stupid. At least I'm not the only one who noticed the kid with all the valentines. P.S. I say let him eat treats for lunch one day and you take the day off from making it.