Monday, February 8, 2010

I'm finally "trained".

Ha! I mean "trained" as in "did all the relevant online courses on the scout website" and "sitting through boring miniclasses at roundtable and district training days". Six hours plus of Cub Scout rules, policies, den meeting tips, ideas, silly songs and more incentives than I can shake a quiet stick at. And all I got was a little patch. It's okay though. My trainer had a patch on her shirt that said "Overtrained". LOL

I'm finding that:

1) Long term Scout leaders are a breed apart: crazy for little awards and recognition; they eat, sleep, and breathe boyish fun; the more patches on their uniforms the better. Good people.

2) Just because I like to plan things out months in advance doesn't mean others do too.

3) It seems that boys love anything gross, disgusting, messy, loud, and slip-on-a-banana-peel funny.

4) Good news: I look good in uniform. Bad news: I look like my dad in uniform.

My first den meeting is two days away. I hope the boys are a good audience, I'd hate to crash and burn my first day. I'm going to try one of my dad's camp songs:

Ahem.

Great big gobs of green, greasy gopher guts,
Chopped up birdy feet,
Contaminated monkey meat,
Twenty-four quarts of all-purpose, porpoise pus,
And me without a spoon!


Do you think 8-10 year old boys would like that? I hope so.

7 comments:

Momof5 said...

As a mother of four boys, all things gross and slimy and ooey and gooey is what brings joy and rapture to their little minds! You'll be great! God bless your khaki adventures!

Nikia, May and da kids said...

I think anything you do with the scouts and all that enthusiasm will be a welcomed blessing for the boys. that sounds like tons of hard work just to be certified. Good luck and HAVE FUN!

May

Pam said...

They'll probably ask to sing it again and again. With your abilities to change your voice when you are telling story you are going to be a GREAT hit with them ALL!!! You'll have them eating out of your hands in no time, hopefully not that mixture you sing about however!

Lourie said...

I remember that silly disgusting song. haha. They will love it!

Andrew said...

I remember Principal Garfield's song about butchering pigs at a plant. The only line I remember is "Throw their little eyeballs out into the rain." Yep, Cub Scouts will love ya.

Sarah Bishop Jackson said...

You are spot on!!

Elaine said...

LOL!! Good luck!! That sounds like a handful! And I think they'd like the song! ;)

clothedmuch.blogspot.com