Monday, January 25, 2010

Still in shock


Okay, I thought I was excited about getting involved in Cub Scouts, but....

Doing things by committee: yes it's nice to break up the big tasks into smaller portions, but I'm finding I either want to be the one in charge and delegate or just have someone else be in charge and you tell me the ONE thing you want me to do. I don't like this, "Does anyone have any suggestions? thoughts? feelings?" stuff and then having my suggestions/thoughts/feelings shelved with, "well, if you look in the book"... If you wanted to look in the book in the first place, WHY DID YOU ASK FOR SUGGESTIONS?!?!?! Just saying.

People who do not communicate: If you are a leader in charge of elementary age boys, you CANNOT assume that said boys will tell their parents about every meeting change, schedule change, etc. You should also communicate with the other adult leaders you work with a little more often than once a month. Don't assume that people will call you to check, YOU call people when you change things. Or at least email, or snail mail, or SOMETHING! C'mon!

The runaround: I ask, "how do I go about doing this?" and I hear, "Oh so and so does that", and so and so is a NON COMMUNICATOR. Okay, I need such and such patch/insignia/award, and I hear, "Oh you can't get that here, you have to go somewhere else to get that but we don't know where." Uh huh, and when I finally know where it is I'm supposed to go to get such and such, it's an hour's drive to get there and I come back in nasty traffic. Nice.

I know this will get better once I know the ropes, but I wish these people would show me the ropes instead of tripping me up with them. I didn't do Scouts as a kid. I don't know the different knots. Give me some slack!

Now that I'm at the end of the line of my rope metaphors, and I've given myself enough to hang myself with, I'll get on with the rest of my Monday.

5 comments:

Andrew said...

Wow, you're in a knot. ;) For being a stay-at-home mom, you're doing and thinking things that a newbie does on the first day of the job. You'll figure it out, even if it means you'll have to pull somebody's tooth to get something done. Best.

Together We Save said...

Wow - I don't know what else to say.

Lourie said...

Good grief. Don't hang yourself, I would miss you way too much. But do hang in there. Deep breaths. At least on Sunday you still get to be with the big kids.

Sarah Bishop Jackson said...

I am so sorry.....hang in there. When I was called to be Cub Master a few years ago I was just handed a box of things and was told "Here you go". Needless to say for the next few days I did nothing but read, google, and pick the brains of a friend of mine who was a den leader in another ward in our stake. Our boys had been meeting with another ward for a time because we had few boys and no one would do the job. It was my job to put the whole organization back together in our ward and get it going again.

Pam said...

There ya go! Aunt Sarah can be a good mentor!