Monday, January 4, 2010

Say what: independence asserting itself (prematurely?)

From the mouth of my soon to be four year old:

4 yr old: I wan' my movie!

Me: No. It's too close to bedtime.

4 yr old: Fine. You not geh treat Mommy!

Later...

4 yr old: I wan' cookie!

Me: No. You didn't eat your dinner.

4 yr old: You gi' me cookie, or you in dee' doo doo!

Me: I'm in deep doo doo?

4 yr old: Yeah!

Me: I don't think so. Go to your room.

4 yr old: I stay here!

Me: One...

4 yr old: Fine! You bi' trouble!

Me: (straining not to crack) Uh huh. Two...

4 yr old: (stomping off) Fine!

4 comments:

Lourie said...

I am seriously starting to think that our kids are comparing notes. This could easily have taken place at my house.

Nikia, May and da kids said...

They start testing you so young. I use to say to my son, "I will punch you in your throat if you ...", now when I get mad, he just laughs and says, "Yeah mom, I know, throat punch. Got it."

One day I just my shock him and do it = )
Think they go through stages. It's funny when it's not your kid.

May

Andrew said...

I wonder ...

Nicole said...

I was going to have to go in Time Out if I did not let my 4 year old have ice cream at like 3 o'clock in the afternoon.