Monday, January 18, 2010

Busy, busy, busy

This last weekend:

Shot a .22 rifle for the first time in, um, shoot. It's been over five or six or seven years. But I still passed the Hunter Education range test. I'm now allowed to hunt small varmints. Not that I'm going out in the cold, so they are safe. But if civilization comes crashing down, watch out varmints, you're dinner! Blech.

My 9 year old and 7 year old also took the same range test. 9 year old passed, 7 year old didn't. The younger one's tears of disappointment drew compassion from the burliest of the range instructors. Maybe in six months when it isn't so durn cold (her poor little pink fingers had a hard time pulling the trigger)!

We had a family birthday party for our now 4 year old boy. Power rangers galore! And everything in a shiny suit is a super hero. And he likes Bugs Bunny cartoons nonstop. That's my boy!

My husband and I had to give talks in church. At our church, the bishop doesn't preach every week. With a lay priesthood, that means EVERYONE is a potential victim, er, contributor to edifying the congregation each week. Even though my husband and I were given different topics, somehow we managed to use the same scripture references. Not so good for keeping the congregation from being bored, but at least our talks were on the short side so the meeting adjourned 10 minutes early. When your meetings start at 11 a.m. and end at 2 p.m., that means your lunch isn't as late as usual.

Another feature of our church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints), is that when a job needs doing, the Bishop issues a call. And for the most part we accept as a chance to do our part for the building up of Zion. I was sustained as a Primary worker - which could mean anything. Usually they don't do that. They ask you specifically, before the general worship meeting, if you'll accept a particular job. This time it wasn't until after sacrament meeting that I was told by the Primary president (the Primary is the children's auxiliary) that I was to be given the job of, duh duh duh dah! Den leader in our ward's cub scout troop. Hoo boy. Never done that before, but I guess since my older boy is in Cub Scouts now, it was probably my turn. I'm wondering if my Dad has a Scout shirt he's outgrown (teehee!). I'm NOT wearing one of those yellow shirts. I've been told they are see through if water gets spilled on them and ANYTHING can happen around 8-10 year old boys!

Phew. I'm tired just thinking about it.

5 comments:

Sarah Bishop Jackson said...

You are busy! You are right....never get one of those yellow shirts! Being in Cub is lots of fun!!!

Elaine said...

Wow...sounds like your weekend's been PACKED!! That's awesome you were able to shoot this weekend! That's too bad your 7YO didn't pass... Andmy husband and I havne't had to give talks since we've moved into our ward! hehe ;)


clothedmuch.blogspot.com

*°º¤♥-=|F®äñ|=-♥*°º¤ said...

Hi dear...visiting ur sweet blog...add me in ur blogroll ok...i have a super cute blog too,alywas with great poems and posts talkin about the life,love and God.Big Hug!!

Lourie said...

Oh best of luck to you!! And yes, get the regular scout shirt. Probably more durable anyway.

Pam said...

OH GOODIE! You get to shake with your left hand now, FUN!