Thursday, September 24, 2009

Rumors

We've lived in Oregon for five years now. I was leary of leaving UTah to start, but now I know there are lots of great places to live, so it's not a big deal anymore living amongst the "Gentiles".

My husband has been told a certain position he applied for has not been filled YET. And he has other feelers out there as we count down the final weeks of his current job. It's a little disconcerting knowing there is possible unemployment in the near future, but no one is panicking. So we continue to wait.

A couple of the opportunities he is seeking might well lead back to Utah. And while it would be great to be closer to family, we also know it won't be the end of the world if we end up staying in Oregon, or going someplace else. We want what is best for our family as a whole and we are praying that God leads us to where he wants us, where he wants our kids, where it is best for us to be.

Right now the hardest part is "not knowing". And that's where the test of faith comes in. It's always the hardest times to have faith that makes your faith grow. So we are working on growing our faith. But we do know we will survive, and things will work out eventually.

How's that for your "faith promoting rumor"?

5 comments:

Lourie said...

I have the hardest time with the not knowing part. Good luck with everything. I will be anxious to see how things play out for you and your family.

Ritsumei said...

I hear the whole hurry up and wait thing. That's hard. We're doing something similar, though Andy doesnt have an end day for his current job (yet). But he's been looking for a long time. If you're hearing back from folks then count your blessings: Andy never seems to.

I guess that I've never really understood the whole "Utah Mormons" vs. "Gentiles" THING. But although my parents are from Utah I grew up in Wisconsin; my sister & I were the only members in our elementary school. It wasn't so bad. When I went to the U of Illinois for school I got to be friends with a great crowd from the dorm - none of them LDS, which included Protestants, a Mormon (me), a Jew, a pair of Muslims, and some others who weren't strong enough in their faith that it became a factor. But the richness of experience in that group was, and still is, a blessing to me. It's also something that would never have happened if I had attended BYU. Maybe I'm just not getting what is meant by this usage of the word "gentile." That word can be so slippery!

mormonhermitmom said...

I certainly didn't mean to be offensive, and if I have, I apologize. "Gentile" seems to be a word I heard in reference to anyone who wasn't Mormon while I was growing up. Hence the saying, "Only in Utah is a Jew a Gentile."

It sometimes takes a while to grow out of such preconceptions, no?

Mamma Christine said...

It is hard to not know and have faith, although now that I'm actually writing that, I guess that's the definition of faith huh? Well good luck, it's always a bit uncomfortable to feel up in the air.

Momof5 said...

We will pray. I'll pray for a speedy answer, but also for a patient heart. Sometimes God is moving us towards the answer, but knows we need a little work in an area or two before it's revealed to us. He does it just to protect us and glorify His name, not to just annoy us, which is how I usually look at it. Kidding!
Love to you and your family! From one of your East Coast "gentile" friends! LY Girl!
God Bless!