Monday, May 4, 2009

She's officially a TWEEN

At least in my head she's a tween, because she is twelve today. TWeen = TWelve. Some may claim tweens are also 11 year olds, but I disagree. I wanted my daughter to be a "kid" for just one more year - so sue me.

But I can't really call her a kid now. Not all the time at any rate. These tweeners are like Jekyll and Hyde; one minute she is asking for cookies and the next she pulls off a PMS meltdown that reminds me of....me. Whoa.

Then there is the unexpected act of kindness that just well...reminds me how much I have to do in the "LEARN CHARITY" area. There's an emerging young woman trying to get past puberty in one piece in this enigma of a human that I used to call my little girl, my little boo-boo. She's got a healthy dose of scamp in her too that prompts a neck wrenching double-take.

What was Heavenly Father thinking when he sent me this complicated person to raise? WHERE'S MY MANUAL? I'm treading water here. I may eventually get across this ocean of child-raising someday, but I'm no Dana Torres. The strokes are choppy and clumsy and there's a heck of a lot of energy wasted in splashing. I sure hope my daughter is more resilient than I am to survive my mistakes.

I just hope she knows that God loves her even better than I do. I know it's hard for some to believe that when you don't see Him visually, hear Him audibly, and feel Him physically that He is really there. I know He exists and cares about us, even when it isn't obvious. He intervenes where necessary, but mostly he lets us figure things out ourselves and somehow, I think most of us grow up. I'm glad He's there when I need him. He's there when any of us is ready to go to Him.

Happy Birthday Boo-boo. I'm so glad Heavenly Father brought you to me and your Dad. You're awesome.

6 comments:

Sarah Bishop Jackson said...

What a neat tribute. They do grow up so fast, don't they.

I once asked grandma how she and grandpa got through life raising 7 kids with all we did. Her answer......."On our knees and with a lot of faith"

Pam said...

Jessica is now my second tween!
Time just doesn't stand still.
Hang in there and keep you cool when she is exploding. IT will difuse it.

Momof5 said...

She is so beautiful! What a wonderful tribute to your daughter! You have nothing to worry about at all with your parenting. It's obvious your priorities are right on track. Besides, count yourself lucky I have four, count 'em, four teenage boys at home. They're great, but they eat me out of house and home! God Bless!

Terresa said...

"Where's my manual"...I totally understand you and my oldest is still just 7!
Best of luck to you. I'm thinking your kids are lucky to have you as their mom! ;)

Ginny said...

You may feel insecure, but I am sure you are doing great.

Nicole's crazy Blog said...

I left my manual at the hospital and am still kicking my self for it. (hahahha)