Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Say What? A cliche in action

Our almost seven year old girl has quite the imagination. She can escape to anyplace in her head. The difficulty comes with the frequency and durations these flights of fancy take. When I ask her to clean her room, she goes in there, shuts the door, (does she think I'm fooled by that?) and she's gone. It drives her older sister up the wall. Their room is never tidy for more than an hour and my oldest can be volatile in her protests, prompting me to come see what the heck is going on, which is usually nothing.

My husband and I have been trying to get this little sprite to realize that life goes on and unpleasant tasks do have to be done on occasion before we can play, whether physically or mentally. Yesterday, she was wandering around again. You know how it goes I'm sure. She brings something out of her room to put away in the front room, and there's something in the front room that conveniently distracts her. My husband got her attention and had her stand right in front of him and then he put his finger in one of her ears and proceeded to explain that she needed to focus on her task. I couldn't help but grin and watch how this was going to play out.

She was trying to pay attention to him, but there was this finger in her ear. She kept trying to take it out while he talked to her. Finally she removed it, only to have him put his pinky finger back in there. She complained, "My ear hurts!"

My husband said, "Do you know why my finger is there?"

She shook her head "no".

I couldn't keep quiet anymore. "He's wants his words to stay in your head."

She looked a little blank.

and because we've been married so long, we both said, "so they don't go in one ear and out the other."

It took her a second but she got it.

3 comments:

Pam said...

It sounds like you are going to have to work along side her to make sure she knows that she doesn't quit while doing a task.
You've got to remember her age too. But keep on her, that's the curse of the mother, just ask Kim. We had to tell her kids that we worked as children too and that Kim wasn't being unreasonable.

Sarah Bishop Jackson said...

Now that was cute.

Nicole's crazy Blog said...

I am laughing so hard at this. But you got to admit, kids with great imaginations are easy to entertain.