Sunday, April 19, 2009

And she's off!

My 11 year old went on a weeklong camp today. For school. It's part of the county's efforts to get urban kids in a wild environment. They throw some local botany, biology and zoology while they are out there to give them some science lessons (and a lot of environmental propaganda as well, it's Oregon). Don't get me wrong. I don't believe in trashing the earth. If it can be recycled, let's do it; if it can be reused in a non-toxic way, let's do it; you pack out your trash, take care of your byproducts properly and leave things better than you found them if possible.

BUT

Sometimes I think the environmental movement goes too far. "Reduce your carbon footprint."

Um, ask any scientist on this earth that studies a life form. WE ARE CARBON BASED CREATURES! You can't eliminate a carbon footprint without eliminating carbon based units. It's called life.

Oh, I'm on my soapbox. Ahem. Excuse me.

Anyway, I hope my daughter has a lot of fun and avoids the poison ivy and learns a little something about the creatures great and small out there. It's a beautiful world, and if this helps her appreciate it and take care of it, good.

3 comments:

Terresa said...

I'm with you, on that same soapbox, too! ;) While I think the green movement is a great idea, people do take it a little too far at times.
Btw, I found you on Mormon Mommy Blogs!

Sarah Bishop Jackson said...

Well said, Robyn.

Pam said...

Go ROBYN!
GO JESSICA
GO EARTH, so long as it supports us