Saturday, September 27, 2008

A first I never want to see myself

My sister's former missionary companion had a death in the family. Her own family; her 15 month old son. I took my sister to the funeral today which was a four hour drive plus 45 minutes of wandering around lost in the wilderness. We missed the viewing and were late to the funeral service, but we got there in the end.

My sister's friend was holding onto herself admirably. Her three other children were adorable, and it wrenched our hearts to think of the new life she was expecting any day now, who would never know one of her older brothers in this life. A totally unexpected accident took a dear child away from this family, and there was very little we could say but "We love you."

The father gave a brief but beautiful eulogy, and the Bishop described this life as a train ride. Some have to get off earlier than expected and fly home more quickly, but we all end up at the same place. I liked that analogy. The hardest part for me was seeing the casket at the cemetery. It was so small...and imagining a sleeping little form within it was so...the closest I can come to describing that is Jeremiah 31:15..."a voice was heard in Ramah, lamentations, and bitter weeping; Rachel weeping for her children refused to be comforted for her children, because they were not."

Soon her new little one will arrive and her busy hands will look after four children ages 4 and under. Yet, the missing one will leave a small empty space and inspire concern, worry, and love in his mother.

And at a future time, because of Christ's atonement, that little boy will come back, and as in Jeremiah 31:16&17..."Thus saith the Lord: Refrain thy voice from weeping, and thine eyes from tears: for thy work shall be rewarded, saith the Lord,....And there is hope in thine end, saith the Lord, that thy children shall come again to their own border."

If you have an extra prayer to give a family in mourning, I'm sure they would appreciate it.

To my family, Love and hugs from me.

4 comments:

Ginny said...

So very sad. My heart is grieving for this mother. The path that some are asked to walk -- I can't even think of what to say--

Munchkins and Music said...

That baby was so young. My heart goes out to that woman. I guess we don't know sometimes why the Lord does what he does.

Munchkins and Music said...

To answer your question, you don't need to take the rubber liners out if you don't want to. The reason for doing so is to get a better sound out of the bottle caps. :)

Bridget said...

Thank you Robin. I'm glad you were able to bring Tina up.